The SAND project coordinates network monitoring and diagnostics from over a hundred application-level measurement points and aggregates them into a measurement archive. This curated measurement archive provides access to historical and quasi-real-time network performance data, allowing for higher-level diagnastics and analyses.
SAND supports and collaborates with long-running activities such as the OSG-Networking area and the WLCG Throughput working group. The data collected by each of these projects goes into the SAND Network Monitoring Archive (SAND-NMA).
SAND maintains a map of CC* sites running perfSONAR; to allow your site to show up, follow these directions.
IRIS-HEP Summer 2020 Fellowship Presentations
- Improving the User Interface to OSG-LHC Network Metrics by Thomas Shearer on September 21, 2020 at 12:00 PM EDT
- Creating a User Interface to Analyse Network Topology by Manjari Trivedi on October 5, 2020 at 12:00 PM EDT
SAND’s archives record historical single-stream TCP across many links
SAND’s archives record historical traceroutes throughout many links
SAND Network Monitoring Archive
The SAND-NMA aims to aggregate as much network monitoring tests results as feasible, providing a knowledgebase for debugging networks and performing data analytics. This archive consists of a data collector (polling measurement endpoints), a message bus (which endpoints can also push data into directly), an archive, and a visualization platform, as pictured here:
Currently, we are recording network measurements from perfSONAR and HTCondor file transfer; we plan to extend this to XRootD services during 2020.
A few metrics about our service:
- SAND users: Engaged BNL (ATLAS), AGLT2 (ATLAS), MWT2 (ATLAS), UCSD (CMS), Nebraska (CMS), Wisconsin (CMS), MIT (CMS), and Purdue (CMS), all within the last year, to identify and resolve network issues
- Number of data sources: 236 distinct perfSONAR endpoints
- Number of HTCondor submit hosts reporting network measurements: 19
- Number of distinct measurements in the ElasticSearch database: over 10 billion, from February 28, 2018 to present
SAND has a weekly meeting for collaborators and project members:
|When||Monday, 3:00–4:00 p.m. Central Time|
|Phone||+1 646 876 9923,or +1 669 900 6833, Meeting ID: 344 520 180|
Additionally, we can be reached via our public Google Group.